Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Teaching Conversation

Learners may be confused by the many ways we can say something in English.  Practicing phrases for conversation can be helpful.  For example, you can use a map to practice asking and giving directions:
Where is (the) . . . ? 
How do you get to (the) . . . (from here)?
How do I get to (the) . . . ?
Can you tell me how to get to (the) . . . ?
Can you give me directions to (the) . . . ?
What's the best way to get to (the) . . . ?

(First,) go down this street (for ____ blocks).
(Then,) turn left/right at the traffic light.
(After that,) go straight on _____ Street until you get to the ______.
(When you get to the _____,) turn left/right again.
(Then,) stay on______Avenue for about _______  meters.
It's on your left, next to the __________. You can't miss it!
Sorry, I don't know.
Sorry, I don't live around here!

For more conversation phrases by topic, visit:  http://www.eslgold.com/speaking/phrases.html